Pages

Sunday 5 May 2013

Natural Dyes

Lucky lucky me .. I spent yesterday dying threads, with natural dyes, in the studio of the very talented Claire Wellesley-Smith. Picture a cellar studio with an old range and numerous Kilner jars filled with: unidentified floaty organic things, rusty nails and even a bit of copper piping. I now have the most beautiful stash of naturally dyed threads and a brain bubbling over with ideas for new books ... oh and a new appreciation of the lengthy process and skill required to make these dyes ... off to plant some woad!

Linen thread for my books: 



... and my stash of assorted threads: silk, coarse linen and cotton


7 comments:

  1. So thrilled with the books Kate. Such meticulous detail.

    love the dyed threads...

    Happy Book Making

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I'm delighted that you like your books and hope you get lots of use out of them. Can't wait to use these threads on a new batch of books
      Kate

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely review of the day. Gorgeous photos and love the thread storage you've created! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire you are more than welcome ... I had a super day and found it so inspiring! Have planted my Woad seeds and am willing them to grow quickly. K x

      Delete
  3. Oh how fabulous!! Why oh why did Aidan have to be born on May 4th - I would have so loved this! Thanks for the wonderful blogpost Kate, ladies - I'll be sharing on Craft Soup this morning pxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Paula! You missed a good one, but babes must come first (note to self: stop hiding from my own sprogs and take them to the Gala) ... but I'm sure we could persuade Claire to do another :) K x

      Delete
    2. Good god yes! Posting on CS now pxxxxxxx

      Delete